Thank you all for the birthday wishes!
Over the last four years, my pattern stash had become a bit unwieldy for my taste. I had bunches of patterns crammed into those narrow paste board boxes, out of sight, out of mind, as I was beginning to forget what I had packed away.
A few weeks ago, I ran across this helpful tip on Pattern Review: Organizing Your Pattern Stash. The author of the tip, KarmenG, suggested something that made me gasp: separate my patterns and instruction from the envelope!
You see, I’m the kind of person who likes to keep everything together. When I was little, I wouldn’t let my cousins put the wrong clothes on the wrong Barbies. Magic Curl Barbie’s dress could not be put on Great Shape Barbie. That was the way I ran things.
So the thought of separating my patterns from the envelope was a bit disconcerting to me. But my pattern stash was a mess and unnavigable. So I thought I’d give it a try.
First, I bought a pack of page protectors and placed each pattern envelope in a sleeve. (Another tip: I ironed some of my “out of shape” envelopes to flatten them before I placed them in the page protectors.) Second, I sorted each envelope by garment and placed them in a 3-inch binder. I divided my binder into the following categories: Tops, Skirts/Pants, Dresses, Combos/Wardrobe, Jackets/Coats, Costumes, Accessories, and Crafts.
For my actual patterns, I bought gallon-sized Hefty storage bags, hanging folders, and two large crates. I placed each pattern in a storage bag with the instruction sheet facing out so I can clearly identify the pattern number and company. I then filed them in my hanging folders numerically, and placed them in the crates.
The beauty of this system is that I can now conveniently browse through my pattern collection and locate the pattern I wish to use when I am ready.
I’m still working on the Burda WOF jacket. We’ve had snow again! so I get an extra day to work on some sewing. Yay!