Pattern Description: “This stylised floral print could have been designed by Andy Warhol! A slim silhouette tapers slightly in at the hem to emphasize feminine curves, and charming side slits let you walk freely.”
Pattern Sizing: 36-44. I made a size 38.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Burda rated this an intermediate pattern. The only challenging part was inserting the side back and side front pieces and getting a perfect point at the armpit. I didn’t do too well on the front, but aced the back. I should have reversed it and did the back first so I could perfect the technique for the front!
I scanned the directions, but ended up using my own sequence.
1. I sewed the pleats and darts in the skirt front and back. I joined the skirt center back up to the zipper insertion point.
2. Sewed the pleats in bodice front and joined the bodice front and back at the shoulders.
3. I joined the front and back facings together (serged the edge) and sewed them to the bodice front and back. Understitched. Tacked at shoulders.
4. Overlapped and basted the right and left front bodice pieces together the sides and bottom.
5. Joined the side fronts and side backs to the bodice front and back.
6. Joined the front skirt to the front bodice and the back skirt to the back bodice. Then I sewed the dress up the sides in one pass, leaving the sides slits at the bottom.
7. Hemmed the sleeves, and skirt.
8. Inserted zipper. Tacked facing to inside.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The model fabric drew me to the pattern. I liked the fitted waist and pencil skirt and thought the side front and side back design was an interesting feature.
Fabric Used: Floral cotton stretch sateen.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added some hot fix rhinestones to cover up a few boo boos.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I plan to sew this again, since I consider this more of a wearable muslin. I already ordered the fabric, another floral stretch cotton sateen. I would recommend this dress to others. It’s a good work/church/semi-formal type dress.