My First Dud in a Long While

So, in effort to crank up my sewing mojo and get it in working order again, I decided to finish up a UFO that’s been languishing in my sewing room for a month, Butterick 5178. It got rave reviews on Pattern Review, and all of the versions I saw looked great. I was motivated to finish it up and wear it for dancing.

First of all, I wanted to make the maxi length, because ya’ll know I love maxi dresses. Well, my stretch rayon jersey was originally intended for a BWOF dress, but I thought the fabric would be too thin for the body hugging design. So I opted to make the knee-length Butterick instead.

The instructions were very easy, but the construction was tedious. I lost/misplaced one of the elastic guides for the bodice and had to guesstimate on how gathered the bodice needed to be in some parts. (I found the pattern piece after the fact.) I had to insert and reinsert the elastic at some points because it kept coming out of my elastic tool. Then I kept getting caught in the seam half way through, and it was pretty maddening. I was teetering on the edge of sanity at that point. Finally, I got to the armhole facing, and just gave up. I folded up the remaining pieces and sat them on top of my book shelf for a good month.

Just this past weekend I decided to put lay this baby to rest and finish her. Well, I almost did. Once I got the last piece of elastic in, I tried the dress on, and disappointment swirled over me. The dang armholes were too large (or the bodice was too small) revealing my strapless bra. Argh! Without a bra, you can see too much.

I just don’t have the energy to try and salvage this dress. I think I’m going to finish it up and give it away. It’s too cute not to be worn by someone.

Well, it’s all good. Not every project is a success. I have a dress and mini SWAP in the works, so stay tuned!

7 thoughts on “My First Dud in a Long While

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.