African Dress

I’m working on a McCall’s 4002 caftan and head wrap for a woman who is going with her mother to Rwanda next month to minister to abused women.

I had some work cut out for me (pardon the pun) when I started. The pieces for View D, the caftan, were already cut out by the woman’s mother in a size XL. So I had to convert the pattern to a size L and grade it back up to an XL at the hips. This took me all day to do. I had to trace and cut out new pieces.

Once the new pieces were cut out, I cut the fabric and so far have sewn on the golden trim and tacked on similar golden button loops.

Here I pinned the trim to the fabric.

I basted the trim on with orange thread so it would be easier to identify and remove.

Now it’s ready to sew!

I will make good use of my serger and overlock the edges for quick and secure construction. I’ll give a progress update later.

Be blessed!

Similar Posts


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.